Tuesday 6 October 2015

Initial ideas - mystery and scandal


 To tell a true story I believe that you yourself have to have a high level of interest in your subject to keep the narrative going. With the True Story that I will be telling, I wanted to choose a subject that I enjoyed - a story that would capture my attention quickly and keep it there with a vice like grip. I wanted to look into mystery and scandal within a certain time period and what better than Tudor England? The dress, the parties, the stories, the misfortunes and of course - the scandal. Who doesn't know at least something about Henry V11 and his many wives? Or the many victories and loses in the battles at the time? With the time period, there are accusations and twists behind almost all stories.  

I have recently found a love for recreations of Tudor stories, whether that be writing or shows. When recently watching the show 'Reign' focusing on Mary Queen of Scots, as she was a person in history I could look into. I researched some reviews and to say the least, I was shocked. Viewers were outraged by the inaccuracy of the story telling, and this made me think about my approach. I was going to tell a story based around someone in this time, but I was going to use my research to have my facts right.

I had vague ideas in the beginning, looking into The Princes in the Tower, Mary Queen Of Scots, Catherine of Aragon, and the accusations thrown at her or perhaps the wife that always stayed in my mind – Anne Boleyn. I don’t remember why exactly her name always stuck out, but perhaps it was because she was accused of so many scandalous things. The famous Boleyn that fell from grace. In 1536 Anne was arrested on charges of adultery with five men including her own brother, Lord George Rochford. At the trial she was accused of adultery and witchcraft. Of course, within those times that would have been a large scandal that Anne wouldn't get away from, and the perfect excuse for Henry to be rid of her. It's the perfect True Story that goes with the theme I have chosen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment