Thursday 26 November 2015

Strategy


The main strategy that I have been looking into is the simple idea of building scene. I’ve been researching people around Anne Boleyn and her locations, so that I can build up the picture within my writing. The scenes, and their backgrounds will stay true to history however I needed to know the details. Albeit small details, they help to develop an engaging story. For example, her appearance and the appearance of her destinations. The rooms of the tower. Greenwhich, the place she was arrested – it had maze like shrubbery outside the large structure and had well-kept gardens. Or even the place where her daughter stayed while all of this was happening. I want to use descriptions within the true story to carry it out and build scene.

Anne’s appearance would of course become something vital to my story. After research I found that the legend of ‘Anne's Appearance’ was that she had a sixth finger and a large mole on her neck that would have been noted as a beauty mark. A quote from an Ambassador said she was ‘not one of the handsomest women in the world’ but was considered moderately pretty. She was of average height and had small breasts with an elegant neck. Her skin was a dark, olive colour and she had thick dark brown hair to match. Her eyes were a deep brown that could appear black and often did. It was said that ‘Those large dark eyes were often singled out in descriptions of Anne. She clearly used them, and the fascination they aroused, to her advantage whenever possible’.

With my strategy I also had to think about the lack of information I had. I had enough for the few scenes I wanted to cover – but what about the other events? For example, where was her brother when he was arrested? Or how about background knowledge before she was in Henry’s view. These were things I could also look at to fuel the story I was telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment